November 22, 2013

Tutorial: Crimson and Gold

I sat down at my desk, chatting with a near and dear friend and said, "What should I do?" Little Miss Marah gave me this idea for Christmas! I tweaked her silver & gold idea and chose to do a crimson & gold since it's both a fall and winter appropriate combo. So thanks for the idea, Marah! Let me know if you will be rockin' a red and gold scheme this winter for any parties! I think I might even intensify this look later in the month, but you'll just have to stick around and see. ;)

And on a related note, December is the month of tutorials! I will be doing a special series specifically for "the most wonderful time of the year" preparing you for all the holiday parties ahead! Please stay tuned - I have a LOT in store! xo




As always, start with a clean, moisturized canvas!


Prime your lids with your favorite eyeshadow base.


Highlight under your brow and inner corner with a light matte shade.


Use a gold color shadow for all over your base and partially in the crease. I used the shimmery color in the top corner. It's a deeper gold instead of a true yellow gold.


Here are the eyes all based with the gold shimmer shadow!


Choose a deep crimson color for your crease. For this look I chose a burgandy color to make it sultry instead of bright an cheery.


Use a blending brush to apply the color heavily in the crease. With mine I had to build it about four times to get it as pigmented as I wanted. With my Real Techniques eyeliner brush I swept the gold and red under my lashes.


I know it looks brown here, but it's very red, I promise!


Take a rust loose pigment and apply this to your crease as well to brighten it up a tad bit more. I LOVE how this NYX pigment took the look to the next level. (You'll see.)


I tried a coordinating coppery color first for my liner but it just blended right in so I chose a liquid brown liner to apply to the top lashes and a dark brown pencil liner to the bottom waterline. I didn't smoke out the bottom as I wanted you to see the gold and red shadow.


I found it! I lost my curler for the last three weeks and upon cleaning this pig sty I live in I found it! So... curl your lashes and prep them for your mascara!


I fought and fought but decided I didn't want to apply falsies to distract from the colors. Au natural it is!


Use a thickening mascara to coat your lashes!


I concealed under my eyes and my few blemishes on my jawline.


I didn't want too pink, too coral, too orange of a blush but didn't have any mauves or deep reds so I chose a light pink with shimmer for the apples of my cheeks.


I also used the Urban Decay Naked Illuminated for my cheek highlight. BLEND IT OUT!


WARDROBE CHANGE - wanted black for the final photos! Taking a medium red tone liner I lined my lips to give my lipstick a base.



Using a cherry red color, I applied it to my lips. I wanted the cherry red to bring out the red in my eyes.


And before you know it, you're done!


PRODUCTS USED:
Essence I Heart Stage Eye Primer
e.l.f. 32 Warm PaletteULTA Single Shadow in Firework
NYX Ultra Pearl Powder in Rust PearlWet n Wild Mega Liner Liquid Liner in Dark Brown
NYX Slide On Glide On Liner in Brown Perfection
Essence Clear Brow Gel
Jordana Best Lash Extreme in Black
Essence Match 2 Cover Concealer
e.l.f. Translucent Matifying Powder
e.l.f. Studio Blush in Twinkle Pink
Urban Decay Naked Illuminated
e.l.f. Lip Exfoliator
Jordana Kohl Kajal Lipliner in Brunt Cherry
Wet n Wild Lipstick in Cherry Picking
e.l.f. Luscious Liquid Lipstick in Strawberry (not shown, I decided I wanted a little gloss)


I hope you enjoyed! And the black robe you see in my tutorials is from Fredrick's of Hollywood. I tend to always wear it out of the shower when I'm doing my makeup so it appears a LOT in photos. Lots of love!

xo K

No comments:

Post a Comment