December 24, 2013

DIY: Vanilla Peppermint Lip Scrub (100% Edible!)

Hey there ladies and gents! Another DIY right before Christmas - and you can find almost all of this in your cabinets right now! Today's DIY is a yummy vanilla peppermint lip scrub! And the best part, it's completely edible! Let me know if you recreate this scrub by tagging me in any of your photos (#thecupcakeblondie)!

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!
I love you all and I am so thankful to have ended this year off with this blog!
I am excited for what 2014 holds for me!


STEP 1: Gather your supplies
  • a mixing bowl/cup
  • a small spoon
  • small jars (I found mine in the travel section of the cosmetics aisle)
  • food coloring
  • honey
  • white granulated sugar
  • olive or coconut oil
  • pure vanilla extract
  • peppermint oil for baking (it has to be edible, NOT essential oil)



STEP 2: Measure your sugar

I used my small jars to estimate how much I'd need. I did this in one bowl to make the red color and another for the white color.



STEP 3: Add the wet ingredients

This part doesn't need to be perfect. You're going to measure out how much of each ingredient you want. I used more honey than oil and more vanilla than peppermint. NOTE: Peppermint oil is EXTREMELY strong; use only one drop at a time!


STEP 4: Mix

Mix your ingredients together into a thick paste. You'll want it thick enough to not drip off your lips when you scrub with it. If it's too runny, add more sugar and honey LESS oil and flavorings. (And vice versa!)


STEP 5: Add the color

Since it's a peppermint scrub, I wanted a little red tint to the mixture! I used a VERY small amount. If you want it to leave a stronger color on your lips you'll want more coloring. Use a little bit at a time until you like it! I left the other bowl just plain white to make a peppermint swirl later.

I kept one bowl white with just sugar, honey, and oil. That way the peppermint was mainly in the red mix and didn't overwhelm the user. This left the white scrub tasting mostly like honey - yum!


Here's the red coloring! If you want it darker, add more but keep in mind that it will stain your lips.


STEP 6: Fill your jars

Now comes the fun part! I used a baby spoon to fit right in these tiny jars. I scooped a tiny bit of red in the bottom and packed it flat. Then added some of the white mixture to create a 'swirl' look! Then I topped it off with a little more red!


This the swirl/layered effect I was aiming for! 


STEP 7: Decorate

I added a little initial sticker for my scrub and a bow! You're all done! Now just rub that sweet scrub on your lips and exfoliate!





You can't tell in this photo but my lips were lightly stained a nice pink color! And it tasted great! You don't have to eat it of course! You can always wipe off with a warm paper towel but since it's completely edible... go ahead. ;) Don't forget to finish it off with a hydrating lip balm! This recipe doubles as a lip PLUMPER too with the mint!

Another trick is to use a small baby toothbrush to scrub your lips! It helps go the extra mile leaving your lips super soft! I hope you enjoyed this DIY! More to come in the future!


Let's be friends!
Subscribe to my YouTube to stay up to date with new video posts!
TWITTER & INSTAGRAM: kellykumse
FACEBOOK: /thecupcakeblondie
EMAIL: kkumse@gmail.com

xo K

No comments:

Post a Comment